Dr. Dean has been lecturing for over twenty years in various international settings. Her foundational studies in English Literature, Political Economy and Logic at University College Dublin (Ireland) provided a basis for her later studies in Philosophy and Theology (Pontifical University of the Holy Cross, Italy), which she has taught extensively.
Her interest in Education has developed through her experience in working with students in higher education. The need and desire to facilitate her students’ learning led her to a self-enquiry approach to research. Through her doctoral research Dr. Dean developed her own living theory which expresses her educational values and her understanding of educational relationships.
For Dr. Dean, teaching and learning should be a rewarding experience, carried out in an atmosphere of freedom, which fosters personal growth for everyone involved. Her research interests include Philosophy of Education; Freedom and Personal Growth; Action Research in Education.
PUBLICATIONS AND AWARDS
- Dean, C. et al. Action Research in Africa. Chapter contribution to Palgrave Handbook of Action Research (to be published in 2015).
- Dean, C. & Kariuki, M. 2014. Transforming primary schools in Kenya through action research: experiences from a post experience diploma in educational management. Paper presentation at the Second International Conference of the Action Research Network of the Americas, ““Enacting Our Beliefs—The So-What of Action Research”. 22nd to 24th May 2014, Moravian College, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Proceedings to be published in Autumn 2014.
- Dean C. 2014. Facilitating transformative learning by transforming myself: experiences of an Irish lecturer at a Kenyan university. Journal of Transformative Research. Under review.
- Dean, C. 2013. Acciones de gracias. Illanes, J.L. (Co-ordinator), Diccionario de san Josemaría Escrivá de Balaguer. Ediciones Monte Carmelo, Burgos.
- Dean, C. 2013. ILO 4 and the Tomodachis. Proceedings of the Ireland International Conference on Education. 21st to 23rd October 2014, Dublin, Ireland. Infonomics Society of the UK.
- Dean, C. 2013. How can I facilitate the personal development of my students as I live my educational values? Paper presented at the First International Conference on Education. 18th to 20th July 2013, Riara University, Nairobi, Kenya. To be sent for peer review and publication.
- Dean, C. 2010. Natural Law and the meaning of Personal Existence in Fides et Ratio. Natural Law. In Search of a Common Denominator, Proceedings of 1st CUEA International Symposium, 06 – 08 February 2007, Ed. P. Chummar, CUEA International Symposiums, Nairobi.
- Dean, C. 2009. Bringing Philosophy to Life through Development Projects. Towards a Living Theory in philosophical education. Proceedings of A Creative Approach to Teachers’ Education: 28th – 30th September 2009. Pozega, Croatia.
- Dean, C. 2008. Passing on the common human tradition. Published in Education and Reality: reflections on Luigi Giussani’s book- The Risk of Education. , Eds. P. Sanna, J.E. Otinde, E.M. Aseka, J.N. Mburu, M. Kiio, J. Koech, AVSI and Kenyatta University), Nairobi.
- Dean, C. 2008. Truth and the Media. Published in Media Ethics. Global Dimensions. Ed. N. Rao Khadpekar. The Icfai University Press (India).
- Dean, C. 2007. The role of human freedom in the development of the virtues. Spoteczenstwo i rodzina 13 (2007) 124-140 (journal published by the John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin, Poland).
- Dean, C. 2006. Peer review in Teaching: The Strathmore Experience. Published in REAL Unistaff. Networking for quality in higher education. Proceedings for the 1st International Conference on Quality Assurance in Higher Education, Kenyatta University, Nairobi – Kenya, 6th – 10th November 2006, pp. 127 – 131.