Ian Wairua is a master’s holder in Information Systems, and a Bachelors owner of Education in science.
He is the Current Vice- Chairman and Founding Secretary-General of the Association of Japanese Language Teachers in Kenya (JALTAK) and a member of the Administration Committee for the JLPT Examination in Kenya. He is an Associate Member of the eLearning Guild, and also the Current Head of Oriental-languages sub-department of School of Humanities and Social Sciences.
He is also the Faculty Representative of the Learning and Teaching Services- Strathmore University, and a board member of Synonyms- and organization of language experts. He also belongs to the Japan Foundation-trained Japanese language educator and the former education and information officer, Embassy of Japan in Kenya.
PUBLICATIONS AND AWARDS
- Wairua, I., & Ateya I. (2014). Increasing ubiquity in language learning using WhatsApp. Social Media in Higher Education Conference, 8-9 May 2014, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Wairua, I., & Ateya I. (2013). Creating Ubiquitous Learning Spaces using Whatsapp in Mobile-Assisted Language Learning. Conference Proceedings of the First Conference of Japanese Language Education in Kenya, 12-13 July 2013. Nairobi, Kenya.
- Wairua, I., & Ateya I. (2013). Trends in Web-based Technology for African Education – A literature review. Strathmore University ICT Conference, 2013. Nairobi, Kenya.
- Wairua, I., & Ateya I. (2013). Social Media for Universities in Kenya. International Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies in Information Technology and Business, NAIST. 2013(vol. 2)
- Wairua, I., & Ateya I. (2012). Towards Integration of Social Media into Blended Elearning for Japanese Language in Kenya. Conference Proceedings of the Second Conference of Japanese Language Education in Kenya, 4-5 August 2012. Nairobi, Kenya.
- Wairua, I., & Ateya I. (2012). Social Media for Higher Education in Kenya. Strathmore University ICT Conference, 2012. Nairobi, Kenya.
- Kago, H., Hashimoto, M., Wairua, I. & Hinga, A. (2009). Foreign Language Use and Awareness in the Kenyan Employment Sector. Language Dept., IHEDS, Strathmore University, August 2009.